Baked French Toast with Berries
This baked blueberry French toast casserole is prepared the night before, baked in the morning and served with fresh strawberries.
1 (8-ounce) day-old French baguette
3 large eggs, beaten
2 1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine
Fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- Cut bread diagonally into 10 slices. Arrange bread slices in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Combine eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla; stir well. Pour egg mixture over bread slices. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle blueberries over bread mixture.
- Combine four, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly; sprinkle over blueberries.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375°F (190°C) for 40 to 45 minutes or until set and golden.
- Serve immediately with strawberries.
Makes 10 servings.