Baked French Toast with Cherry Topping
This delicious, orange-scented baked French toast dish is loaded with fresh sweet cherries. Prepare it the night before and have more time to enjoy the morning with your family. Top individual servings with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.
1 1/2 cups milk
6 large eggs
1/3 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided use
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 slices (4 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 1/2-inch) French bread
4 cups pitted Northwest fresh sweet cherries, halved
1/2 cup orange juice
Vanilla yogurt for accompaniment
- Combine milk, eggs, maple syrup, 2 tablespoons sugar, orange peel and salt; mix well. Pour half of mixture into each of two 9-inch square baking dishes. Dip both sides of each slice of bread in milk mixture; arrange in the same baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Marinate cherries in orange juice and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar overnight.
- Carefully transfer bread slices to a nonstick, buttered baking sheet using a large spatula; allow excess liquid to drip into pan used for soaking.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven 15 to 18 minutes; turn slices over halfway through baking time.
- Top each slice with 1/2 cup cherries and a dollop of vanilla yogurt. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 297 Cal., 10.2 g pro., 7.3 g fat (22% Cal. from fat), 49.3 g carb., 168 mg chol., 2.8 g fiber, 292 mg sodium.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Washington State Fruit Commision.