Baked Oatmeal with Dates
Skip the spoon, you'll need a fork to eat this tasty oatmeal breakfast dish topped with vanilla yogurt.
2 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup dates, raisins or dried cranberries
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/3 cups milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Vanilla yogurt for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease an 8-inch baking dish with vegetable shortening.
- Combine oats, sugar, dates, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl, mixing well.
- Combine milk, eggs, butter and vanilla in a medium bowl, mixing well. Add to dry ingredients; mix until well blended. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until center is set and firm to the touch. Cool slightly
- Serve topped with vanilla yogurt, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.