Banana-Orange Date Oatmeal
Begin your day with a healthy bowlful of extraordinarily flavorful oatmeal.
2 cups orange juice
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups quick or old fashioned oats
3/4 cup chopped dates or raisins, or a combination of both
1 ripe banana, diced
Chopped nuts, preferably toasted*
Milk, light cream, yogurt
Brown sugar, sugar, honey
- In medium saucepan, bring orange juice, water, salt and nutmeg to a boil. Stir in oats and dates.
- Return to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cook 1 minute for quick oats or 5 minutes for old fashioned oats or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in banana.
- Let stand until of desired consistency.
- Serve topped with milk and sweetened as desired.
Makes 5 servings.
*Before cooking oatmeal, pan-roast the nuts over medium heat, stirring constantly, until nuts are fragrant and lightly brown. Set aside until ready to use.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/5 of recipe; does not include accompaniments): Calories 230, Calories From Fat 20, Total Fat 2g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 5mg, Total Carbohydrates 49g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Protein 5g, Total Sugars 29g.