Blueberry-Orange French Toast
The fresh, enticing flavors of orange and blueberry paired with French toast -- it was meant to be.
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2/3 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed and drained, if frozen)
1 loaf unsliced French bread, cut into 8 (1 1/4-inch) thick slices
1/3 cup sliced almonds
Blueberry Orange Sauce:
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup orange sections (about 2 oranges)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly grease a 15x10x1-inch baking sheet; set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs, peel, juice, 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the salt until well blended. Pour into a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine blueberries and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, cut a 1 1/2-inch wide pocket in the side of each bread slice.
- Fill pockets with reserved blueberry mixture, dividing evenly.
- Place filled slices in egg mixture. Let stand, turning once, until egg mixture is absorbed, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Arrange bread on prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes, turning slices after 10 minutes. Serve with Blueberry Orange Sauce.
- For Blueberry Orange Sauce: In a cup combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; set aside. In a small saucepan bring orange juice and 1/4 cup water to a boil. Add blueberries and orange sections. Return to a boil; cook until liquid is released from fruit, about 2 minutes. Stir in sugar mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Makes 2 cups sauce.
Makes 16 pancakes.