Blueberry Sausage Breakfast Bake
A compliment of flavors, this savory blueberry and sausage breakfast casserole is served topped with a blueberry sauce.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 pound sausage, browned and drained
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream or yogurt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Additional sour cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Mix flour, baking powder and soda. Set aside.
- Beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar, brown sugar and eggs, one at a time, beating each addition for 1 minute.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Fold in browned sausage and sour cream.
- Pour into lightly greased 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan. Sprinkle nuts on top. (At this stage, may be covered and refrigerated overnight and baked in the morning.)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm with Blueberry Sauce.
- For Blueberry Sauce: Combine sugar and cornstarch, add water and blueberries. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- To serve cut into squares, drizzle with Blueberry sauce and top with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.