Bob's Belgian Buttermilk Waffles
"A classic, simple waffle recipe for any day of the week." Recipe submitted by Bob Bovie.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg, separated
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (8-ounce) can dark sweet pitted cherry
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons port wine
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk buttermilk, egg yolk and melted butter in a separate small bowl. In another small bowl, beat egg white until peaks form. Slowly add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and gently mix; fold beaten egg white into batter.
- Cook in waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve immediately with butter, syrup, honey and/or fresh fruit if desired.
- For Cherry Sauce: Drain cherries, reserving syrup. In a small sauce pan, blend cornstarch, reserved syrup and port winte. Bring to a boil and cook 1 additional minute, continuing to stir. Stir in cherries. Cool mixture slightly. Spoon 3 to 4 tablespoons of sauce over each serving of waffles.
- Top with whipped cream, shaved semisweet chocolate and maraschino cherry if desired.
Makes 2 servings.