Breakfast Cheese Pie
This delicious breakfast pie has a bread 'crust' with a delicious egg, ham and cream cheese filling.
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 or 9 slices French bread, cut 1/4-inch thick
1 cup shredded farmer cheese or provolone (4-ounces)
1 1/4 cups milk
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese with chives, cut up
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon snipped mixed fresh herbs (oregano, basil, thyme or dill)
8 large beaten eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 cup finely chopped ham
1/3 cup dairy sour cream
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
Snipped fresh herbs (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the 2 tablespoons softened margarine or butter and the garlic powder; spread onto one side of each bread slice. Cut 5 slices of bread in half crosswise. Arrange remaining whole slices of bread, margarine side up, on the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate, trimming as needed to cover the bottom. Arrange half-slices around the sides of the plate. Bake, uncovered, in a 400°F (205°C) oven about 8 minutes or until the edges are crispy. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese; return to oven and bake about 1 minute more or until cheese is melted. (At this point, you can cover and chill crust overnight.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan stir together the 1 1/4 cups milk and the flour; stir in softened cream cheese, pepper, and the 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in the 1 tablespoon snipped herbs; set aside. (You can cover and chill the sauce overnight.)
- In a medium mixing bowl beat together eggs, 2 tablespoons milk, and the 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons margarine or butter over medium heat; pour in egg mixture. Cook, without stirring, until mixture begins to set on the bottom and around the edge. Using a large spoon or spatula, lift and fold partially cooked eggs so uncooked portion flows underneath. Continue cooking over medium heat until eggs are cooked throughout but are still glossy and moist. Fold in half of the cream cheese sauce and ham.
- Spoon egg mixture into crust; sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile, stir sour cream into remaining cheese sauce. If necessary, stir in a little milk to thin. Heat through; do not boil. Sprinkle pie with tomato and additional snipped herbs, if desired. Cut into wedges to serve. Spoon sauce atop.
Makes 6 servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare and bake the crust as directed above; cover and chill overnight. Prepare the cream cheese sauce; pour into a bowl, cover, and chill overnight. To serve, heat the chilled sauce before adding the sour cream; do not boil.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): calories: 455, total fat: 30g, saturated fat: 9g, cholesterol: 331mg, sodium: 722mg, carbohydrate: 25g, fiber: 0g, protein: 21g, vitamin A: 39%, vitamin C: 10%, calcium: 25%, iron: 15%.
Recipe provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.