Classic buttermilk waffles. Serve warm with your choice of syrups, honey, fresh fruits, butter, yogurt, sour cream, or whipped cream.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
Maple and fruit syrups, honey
Assorted fresh fruits, cut up
Plain or fruit-flavored yogurt, sour cream, whipped cream
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl combine egg yolks, buttermilk, and melted butter. Stir to mix well. Add yolk mixture to flour mixture all at once. Stir just until blended. Batter should be slightly lumpy.
- Carefully fold in beaten egg whites. Do not over-mix.
- Pour batter onto preheated, lightly greased waffle maker. Close lid quickly. Do not open waffle maker during baking. Remove waffle from grid. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve waffles warm with desired toppings.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.