California Apricot Pecan Waffles
Recipe courtesy of the California Fresh Apricot Council.
1 pound fresh apricots or 1 can (15 1/4-ounce) apricot halves
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/4 cup pecans
3 large egg whites
- Preheat waffle iron. Dice apricots. Combine whole wheat flour, flour, baking soda, baking powder and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; set aside.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and oil. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in apricots and pecans.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until firm peaks form and egg whites are shiny.
- Stir 1/4 of egg whites into waffle batter. Fold in remaining egg whites.
- Measure 2/3 cup batter for each waffle.
- Cook about 4 minutes per waffle.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the California Fresh Apricot Council.