Chorizo Sausage Omelet with Sauce
Chorizo-filled omelets served with a creamy onion and chorizo sauce.
5 ounces chorizo sausage, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onion
6 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano - divided use
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
Sausage Onion Sauce:
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/4 cup chicken stock or broth
2 tablespoons light cream
1/4 cup reserved cooked and crumbled chorizo sausage
1 tablespoon sliced green onions (green tops preferred)
- Cook sausage in heavy skillet over medium heat until cooked through, breaking sausage into small pieces. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and drain as necessary. Remove 1/4 cup sausage and set aside for sauce.
- Add green onions to hot pan and sauté until tender. Remove from pan and mix with sausage. Hold warm in a 200°F (95°C) oven.
- For each omelet, whisk 3 eggs and 1/8 teaspoon oregano together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat an empty nonstick 8-inch omelet pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and tilt pan to coat the entire surface. Pour egg mixture into pan and scramble until the eggs are slightly coagulated (slightly thickened with a syrupy texture.)
- Place 1/3 cup reserved sausage and onion mixture onto 1/2 of omelet. Cook until eggs are set.
- Fold one half of omelet over the filling. Roll or flip omelet onto heated plate.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients for second omelet. Hold omelets in oven while preparing sauce.
- Melt butter in a small skillet. Add flour and stir to make smooth. Stir in stock and cream. Stir and cook until thickened. Stir in sausage and heat well.
- Spoon sauce across omelets.
- Garnish with sliced green onions tops.
Makes 2 omelets.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Hot Dog And Sausage Council.