Country Grits and Sausage
Enjoy this southern comfort food for breakfast or supper.
2 pounds bulk breakfast sausage
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grits
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a skillet, cook sausage until browned; drain.
- In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil; stir in grits. Return to a boil, reduce the heat, and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a large bowl, combine the grits and shredded cheddar cheese; stir until the cheese is melted.
- In a bowl, mix together eggs, milk, thyme, and garlic salt. Add a small amount of the hot grits to the egg mixture. Add egg mixture to the grits mixture in the saucepan. Add the cooked sausage, stirring well.
- Pour grits mixture into a 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 50 to 55 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.