Crunchy Granola Sweetened with Dried Blueberries
Delicious recipe for homemade granola with dried blueberries, including four flavor variations.
1/4 cup melted butter or canola oil
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup wheat bran cereal
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup wheat germ
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup dried blueberries (4-ounces)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, stir together butter (or oil), honey and brown sugar. Mix in oats, bran cereal, sunflower seeds and cinnamon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Stir in wheat germ, almonds, almond and vanilla extracts. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately stir in dried blueberries. Allow mix to cool thoroughly before storing.
Makes 5 1/3 cups granola.
Trail Mix Ideas: The above granola makes a great-tasting base for a nutritious, high-energy trail mix. To make your own trail mix, add your favorite snack items such as the following variations:
- Rocky Road: Dried Blueberry Granola with mini marshmallows, peanuts and chocolate chips.
- Fruit Pie: Dried Blueberry Granola with dried apple bits, walnuts and extra cinnamon.
- Island Mix: Dried Blueberry Granola with white chocolate chunks, shredded coconut and macadamia nuts.