Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
8 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) carton low-fat cottage cheese
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese - divided use
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 (4-ounce) cans or 1 (7-ounce) can diced mild green chiles, slightly drained
Sour cream for garnish (optional)
Chunky salsa for garnish (optional)
Cilantro sprigs for garnish (optional)
- Beat eggs; add cottage cheese and 1 cup Mexican cheese, blend well; set aside.
- In a 10-inch, non-stick, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender, about 5 to 7 minutes
- Add green chiles and stir to mix. Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture looks set around the rim.
- Keeping mixture in skillet, bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven until knife inserted in center of dish comes out clean or about 20 to 25 minutes Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese and place under broiler for about 1 minute to brown and melt cheese (watch carefully).
- Cut into wedges and serve with reduced-fat sour cream and salsa and garnish with sprigs of cilantro, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: To make the skillet oven-proof, wrap the handle with aluminum foil.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 362; Total Fat: 24g; Cholesterol: 388mg; Total Carbs: 9g Fiber: 1g; Protein: 25g; Sodium: 782mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.