Fig and Walnut Pancakes
These elegant spiced fig and walnut pancakes will make any morning a special occasion.
1 cup (6-ounces) California dried figs, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In large mixing bowl stir together figs, nuts and dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl beat together eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and stir to blend.
- Pour about 1/3 cup batter for each pancake onto hot, lightly greased griddle.
- Bake until bubbles on top break and batter is set at edges. Turn to brown other side. Serve hot.
Makes 12 (5-inch) cakes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 143; Fat 5 grams; Protein 4 grams; Carbohydrates 19 grams; Dietary Fiber 2 grams; Calories from fat 33%; Sodium 190 mg; Cholesterol 37 mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the California Fig Advisory Board.