Fluffy Polka-Dot Pancakes
Fluffy, cinnamon-scented buttermilk pancakes dotted with plumped-up raisins.
1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Plump raisins in hot water for several minutes; drain and dry on paper towels.
- Mix cinnamon with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and toss with raisins; set aside.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks; add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks until creamy. Stir in buttermilk and soda. Sift flour, baking powder and salt and blend into buttermilk mixture. Stir in melted butter. Fold in beaten egg whites. Gently fold in cinnamon-coated raisins.
- Spoon batter onto lightly greased griddle; bake, turning once.
Makes 16 pancakes.
Recipe provided courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board.