French Banana Pancakes
A special breakfast or dessert treat that's easy to make.
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup light cream
5 to 6 firm bananas, halved lengthwise
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment (optional)
Additional ground cinnamon for sprinkling (optional)
- For Filling: Melt butter in a large skillet. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in cream and cook until slightly thickened.
- Add half of the bananas at a time in skillet; heat for 2 to 3 minutes, spooning sauce over them. Remove from the heat.
- For Pancakes:Sift flour and powdered sugar into mixing bowl. Add milk, eggs, butter, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth.
- Heat a lightly greased 6-inch skillet; add about 3 tablespoons batter, spreading to almost cover bottom of skillet. Cook until lightly browned; turn and brown the other side. Remove to wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed.
- To Serve: Roll a pancake around each banana half and place on a serving platter. Spoon sauce over pancakes. Serve topped with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and a light sprinkling of cinnamon, if desired.
Makes 5 to 6 servings.