German Apple Pancake
The great thing about an 'oven pancake', is that everyone eats at the same time. Consider this delicious apple breakfast treat for your next bruncheon get-together.
3 large (1 1/2 pounds total) Granny Smith apples
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 large eggs, remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before use
1 1/2 cup buttermilk, remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before use
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Peel, core and slice apples in 1/8 inch thick slices (4 cups). Set aside
- Melt butter in 13x9x2-inch glass baking pan in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven.
- Arrange apple slices over melted butter. Return to oven; bake until apples are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Combine brown sugar with 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and nutmeg. Remove pan from oven; sprinkle apples with brown sugar mixture; set aside.
- Blend eggs, buttermilk, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with a mixer for 1 1/2 minutes or in blender container about 30 seconds. Pour over apples in pan.
- Return pan to oven; bake for 35 minutes or until top is golden brown and apples rise to surface. Surface will be somewhat uneven.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.