Get-Stuffed French Toast
Make breakfast special with this scrumptious Havarti cheese and blueberry stuffed French toast casserole.
1 (16-ounce) challah or French bread loaf, cubed
1 (8-ounce) package Wisconsin Havarti Cheese, cut into thin slices
6 large eggs
4 cups milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon - divided use
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 (12-ounce) jar blueberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Arrange half of bread cubes in lightly buttered 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Top evenly with Havarti; top with remaining bread cubes.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, butter, and maple syrup in large mixing bowl; pour over bread mixture, pressing bread cubes to absorb egg mixture. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon over the top. Cover baking pan with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 more minutes or until lightly browned and set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Stir together blueberries and blueberry preserves in a small saucepan over low heat until warm.
- Serve blueberry sauce over French toast.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.