Harvest Apple Bake
Assemble this dish the night before and your guests will wake up to a special breakfast treat served by a relaxed hostess (or host) because all the prep work is already done.
8 large eggs
1 loaf of French bread
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup light cream
1 cup granulated sugar, divided use
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
7 medium-sized cooking apples
2 tablespoons butter
Maple syrup for accompaniment
- Slice bread into 1 1/2-inch slices. Place bread tightly together into a 13x9x2-inch greased glass pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, cream, and vanilla for about 30 seconds. Pour half of egg mixture over bread.
- Peel, core, and slice apples. Place sliced apples on top of bread to cover and pour balance of egg mixture evenly over apples.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over top of apples. Dot with butter.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, bake uncovered in 350°F (175°C) oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm with maple syrup.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Iowa Egg Council.