Heart-Healthy Power Granola Pancakes
Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.
1 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
1/3 cup tart cherry juice
2 cups low-fat pancake mix
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1 cup granola
1 whole egg
1/4 cup egg substitute
2 cups 1% low-fat milk (or light plain or vanilla extract soymilk)
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat griddle.
- In a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, stir cherries and juice until cherries are plump and juice is absorbed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix pancake mix, wheat germ, granola, egg, egg substitute and milk until blended. Add cherries and almond extract and blend.
- Spray heated griddle with cooking spray.
- Portion scant 1/3 cup batter onto surface, cook until bottom is golden brown, then turn and cook until golden.
- Top pancakes with favorite syrup and sprinkle with almonds.
Makes 8 (2 pancake) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 160; Total Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 16mg; Total Carbs: 26g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 6g; Sodium: 176mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.