Kentucky Griddle Cakes
Toothsome, buttermilk cornmeal griddle cakes hearty enough for bluegrass-loving, Kentuckians' breakfast.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Butter for accompaniment
Maple syrup for accompaniment
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in mixing bowl.
- Beat egg in separate bowl; stir in buttermilk and oil.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended.
- Heat greased griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375°F (190°C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.
- For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed, bubbly and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown. Serve with butter and maple syrup.
Makes 10 (4-inch) griddle cakes.