Hot off the griddle, these oatmeal pancakes, served with butter and warm blackberry preserves, will satisfy the heartiest of appetites, even a lumberjack! (Shouldn't these breakfast cakes be called 'Lumberjack Flapjacks', instead?!!)
2 cups old fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
Butter for accompaniment
Blackberry or strawberry preserves, heated
- Stir together oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs in separate bowl; stir in milk and melted butter.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended.
- Heat greased griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375°F (190°C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.
- For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed, bubbly and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.
- Serve with additional butter and the warm preserves.
Makes 16 (4-inch) pancakes.