Make-Ahead Breakfast Sausage Casserole
This savory breakfast sausage casserole is easy to make ahead of time, so you can enjoy your morning. A satisfying dish that uses turkey sausage, low-fat evaporated milk and egg substitute to help cut calories.
Nonstick cooking spray
7 cups ciabatta bread cubes (1-inch cubes)
1 pound lean Italian turkey sausage (such as Jenny-O)
1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Low-fat 2% Milk
2 large eggs
1 cup egg substitute
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese - divided use
1 bunch sliced green onions (about 3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Spray 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place bread cubes in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat; add sausage and bell pepper. Cook, stirring to crumble sausage, for 6 minutes or until sausage is cooked.
- Combine evaporated milk, eggs and egg substitute in large bowl; whisk to combine. Stir in 1 cup cheese, sausage and green onions. Add bread cubes; toss to coat. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Remove cover from casserole dish.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until lightly browned and set. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese right when it comes out of the oven. Serve with salsa and additional sliced green onions, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.