Make-Ahead Vanilla French Toast
Weekend guests? Make this scrumptious orange-scented vanilla French toast with brown sugar sauce. It’s sweet and easy!
1 (1-pound) loaf French bread
1 1/2 cups vanilla-flavored half-and-half
1 cup milk
6 large eggs
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel, if desired
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vanilla-flavored half-and-half
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup sliced almonds*
Maple syrup, if desired
- Slice bread into 12 (1-inch thick) slices. Arrange bread slices in bottom of greased 13x9-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Combine all remaining French toast ingredients in medium bowl. Beat at low speed until well mixed. Pour mixture over bread, covering all bread surfaces. Cover; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C). Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients except almonds in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted (3 to 4 minutes). Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle bread with almonds. Pour half of sauce mixture over bread mixture in pan. Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, heat remaining sauce; pour over French toast. Serve French toast warm with maple syrup, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
*Substitute chopped pecans.