Melba's Sweet Potato Pancakes
Recipe courtesy of Melba's Restaurant in Harlem, New York.
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, half-and-half or whole milk
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Rub outside of sweet potatoes with oil. Wrap separately in foil; place in a baking pan. Bake 45 to 60 minutes or until fork tender. Remove and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In separate bowl, combine milk, eggs and melted butter. Combine with dry mixture; whisk well.
- Peel baked sweet potatoes and mash with a fork. Fold 3/4 of the mashed sweet potatoes into the batter. If needed, add additional milk as your batter should be thick, but easy to pour.
- Heat a buttered pan over medium heat.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto pan; cook until bubbles begin to form, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip over and cook an additional 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes with with remaining mashed sweet potato and maple syrup.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.