Mexican Cheese and Egg Casserole
A tasty Mexican-style, make-ahead and bake in the morning, breakfast casserole.
1 (16-ounce) loaf sliced French bread, crust removed
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
10 large eggs
2 cups milk
- Cut bread into 3/4 to 1-inch cubes (about 10 cups).
- In a greased, shallow 3-quart casserole or a 13x9x2-inch baking dish, arrange bread cubes evenly. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt cream cheese; add the chilies. Carefully spread mixture over the top of the cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk. Pour egg mixture over cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.