Microwave Egg 'N' Ham Muffin
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
1 thin slice deli ham (1-ounce)
1 wheat English muffin, split, toasted
1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
Sliced tomatoes (optional)
Dijon-mayonnaise spread (optional)
- Arrange ham slice onto muffin bottom. Top with egg slices; season with salt and ground black pepper, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds until warm and cheese melts. Cover with muffin top.
- Serve with tomato and Dijon-mayonnaise spread, if desired.
Makes 1 serving.
- Microwave ovens vary. Cook time may need to be adjusted.
- Very fresh eggs can be difficult to peel. To ensure easily peeled eggs, buy and refrigerate them a week to 10 days in advance of cooking. This brief "breather" allows the eggs time to take in air, which helps separate the membranes from the shell.
- Hard-boiled eggs are easiest to peel right after cooling. Cooling causes the egg to contract slightly in the shell.
- To peel a hard-boiled egg: Gently tap egg on countertop until shell is finely crackled all over. Roll egg between hands to loosen shell. Starting peeling at large end, holding egg under cold running water to help ease the shell off.
- Hard-boiled egg storage time: In the shell, hard-boiled eggs can be refrigerated safely up to one week. Refrigerate in their original carton to prevent odor absorption.
- Once peeled, eggs should be eaten that day.
Note: Nutrition information per serving does not include salt, pepper, tomato or Dijon-mayonnaise.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1 recipe): Calories: 260; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 201mg; Total Carbs: 28g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 18g; Sodium: 663mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.