Overnight Bacon Casserole
Everyone has a recipe like this somewhere in their repertoire, the perfect dish for holiday overnight guests or a brunch. This one features bacon and cheddar cheese. You won’t have any leftovers.
1 pound sliced bacon
8 slices whole wheat bread
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup (4-ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Cut strips of bacon crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook in skillet over medium heat until crisp; blot with paper towels. Discard accumulated bacon fat.
- Remove crusts from bread, and reserve for another use. Cut bread slices into cubes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, stir in milk, cheese and mustard. Gently stir bacon and bread cubes into egg mixture; spoon into buttered 8-inch square baking dish. Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325°F (160°C) for 45 minutes or until knife inserted midway between center and outer edge comes out clean.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 388 calories, Protein 22 grams, Fat 25 grams, Sodium 713 milligrams, Cholesterol 321 milligrams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.