Pancakes with Variations
A good basic pancake recipe with several variations to easily change up the flavor.
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Vegetable oil for greasing griddle, as needed
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients and beat just until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in additional 1 to 2 tablespoons milk.
- Heat greased griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375°F (190°C). Griddle is ready when a few drops of water bubble and skitter rapidly around.
- For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed, bubbly and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown.
Makes about 10 (4-inch) pancakes. Recipe can be doubled.
- Fruited Pancakes: Stir in 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) berries or chopped fruit such as bananas, apples, peaches or pears.
- Crunch Pancakes: Stir in 1/2 cup chopped nuts, trail mix or granola.
- Cinnamon-Oatmeal Pancakes: Substitute 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats for 1/2 cup flour. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon with the flour.
- Cornmeal Pancakes: Substitute 1/2 cup cornmeal for 1/2 cup all-purpose flour.