Pomodoro Egg Bake
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
4 medium tomatoes
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese - divided use
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
4 English muffins, split, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut the top fourth off each tomato. Scoop out the tomatoes, leaving a thick shell intact. Remove any liquid from inside the tomato with a paper towel.
- Place tomato shells in 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese in each tomato.
- Break and slip an egg into each tomato shell. Sprinkle basil over eggs.
- Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, about 30 to 35 minutes
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the eggs. Serve with English muffins.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 269; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 193mg; Total Carbs: 32g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 16g; Sodium: 511mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.