Prosciutto Breakfast Strata
A delicious, Italian-style breakfast casserole that can be served anytime of the day.
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
8 ounces prosciutto, julienned
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups soft goat cheese, softened
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, softened in boiling water, drained and sliced
3 red bell peppers, roasted, seeded and julienned
4 large eggs
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Grease a 12-inch baking dish.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together milk and wine. Dip bread slices into the milk mixture but don't let them soak through. Place a layer of bread on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Place one-third of the prosciutto on the bread, followed by one-third of the basil leaves. Crumble one-third of the goat cheese over the top then place one-third of the sun-dried tomatoes and one-third of the roasted peppers over all.
- Repeat entire layering process, from bread to peppers, twice more until the pan is full.
- In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over strata and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the strata from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature while you preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake strata for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings.