Sausage, Cheese and Egg Casserole
A tasty, make-ahead breakfast casserole for a no-fuss, more time for visiting morning.
6 cups stale bread cubes
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese - divided use
1 1/2 pounds sausage
4 large eggs
3 cups milk - divided use
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Place bread cubes on the bottom of a greased 2-quart casserole dish and top with 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- Brown sausage in a skillet; drain. Spread on top of the cheese.
- With an electric mixer, beat eggs with 2 1/2 cups milk, dry mustard, salt, and pepper; pour over sausage and refrigerate mixture overnight.
- In a bowl, combine cream of mushroom soup and 1/2 cup milk. Pour into the casserole dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 300°F (150°C) for 1 1/2 hours.
Makes 6 servings.