Sausage Pancake Puff
For this terrific recipe, Diane Halferty, of Tucson, Arizona received an Honorable Mention in the 1996 National Sausage Month Award-Winning Recipes contest.
4 ounces (1/4 cup) light dairy sour cream
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 pound ground turkey sausage
2 large eggs or 4 ounces frozen egg substitute
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons diced scallions (green onions)
1 cup shredded cheddar or reduced fat cheese
Salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, lemon pepper seasoning and cumin. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- In a medium skillet, cook sausage until brown, stirring frequently and breaking up lumps, over medium-high heat. Drain off extra fat.
- Combine eggs or substitute with milk, flour, oregano and salt and beat until smooth.
- Butter or spray four, 4 1/2-inch tart pans with non-stick coating. Divide and add batter, sausage and scallions.
- Bake uncovered in a 425°F (220°C) oven for 10 to 13 minutes until puffed and light brown. Top with cheese and return pans to oven for one minute or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately topped with sour cream mixture. Garnish with fresh tomato and diced scallions or chives, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: You can also make this recipe in large muffin tins. Perfect for a brunch buffet.
Recipe provided courtesy National Hot Dog And Sausage Council.