Sausage Spoon Bread
A humble and hearty dish, this spoon bread is loaded with sausage and cheddar cheese. It’s perfect for a simple supper, with applesauce; or for a hearty breakfast following snow shoveling.
1 pound sausage links
4 cups milk
1 cup yellow corn meal
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
4 large eggs, well beaten
- In large skillet, brown sausage on all sides. Remove to paper toweling to drain.
- In double boiler, heat milk. Gradually whisk in corn meal and cook, stirring often, until consistency of mush. Add butter and salt to corn meal mixture and mix well.
- In large mixing bowl, add onion, mustard and cheese to beaten eggs. Gradually stir corn meal mixture into eggs.
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart oven-proof baking dish.
- Top with sausage and bake at 425°F (220°C) for 45 minutes.
- Cut into wedges to serves.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.