Savory Breakfast Bread Pudding with Colby
Serve this creamy breakfast casserole with fresh fruit and your favorite morning hot beverage.
1 pound pork breakfast sausage
1 cup onion, chopped
8 cups seven-grain bread or other whole grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Colby Cheese, shredded - divided use
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
3 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, freshly ground
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage and onions; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked sausage, onions, bread cubes, and 1 cup of the cheese; toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, sage, salt, and pepper. Pour over the bread mixture; mix well. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly grease 13x9-inch baking dish. Pour bread mixture into baking dish.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and center is set.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake another 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.