Recipe courtesy of the National Diabetes Educational Program.
5 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable cooking spray
1/2 medium onion, minced
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 1/2 cups green/red peppers, sliced thin
5 medium mushrooms, sliced
3 whole eggs, beaten
5 egg whites, beaten
Ground black pepper and garlic salt with herbs, to taste
3 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon low-fat Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender.
- In a nonstick pan, add oil or vegetable spray and warm at medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until brown. Add vegetables and sauté until tender but not brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, slightly beat the eggs and egg whites, pepper, garlic salt, and mozzarella cheese. Stir egg-cheese mixture into the cooked vegetables.
- Oil or spray a (10-inch) pie pan or oven-proof skillet. Transfer potatoes and eggs mixture to pan. Spread with Parmesan cheese and bake omelet until firm and brown on top, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Makes 5 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/5 of recipe): Calories: 260; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 135mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 16g; odium: 240mg; Potassium: 1028mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Diabetes Educational Program.