Spicy Texas Breakfast Casserole
Recipe courtesy of the National Pasta Association.
1 pound medium egg noodles
3/4 pound mild breakfast sausage
1 small onion, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1/4 cup egg substitute, slightly beaten (or 1 large egg, slightly beaten)
1 (10.75-ounce) can low-fat or regular cream of mushroom soup, mixed with one can of water
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chili pepper
2 cups low-fat or regular cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, sauté sausage, onion, and bell pepper in a skillet. Drain sausage mixture.
- While mixture is draining, scramble eggs in skillet.
- When eggs are done, add eggs, soup with water, tomatoes, spices, pasta and sausage mixture to a greased 13x9x2-inch pan. Sprinkle top with cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with picante sauce.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Pasta Association.