Sunny Stacked Tortillas
Recipe courtesy of the American Egg Board.
6 large eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk, sour cream or milk
Non-stick cooking spray
1/2 cup chopped green onions
Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
3 (9-inch) flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican four cheese blend
1 cup chopped ham or cooked, crumbled bacon (optional)
Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat eggs and buttermilk in medium bowl until blended.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture. As eggs begin to set, gently pull the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft curds. Continue cooking-pulling, lifting and folding eggs-until thickened and no visible liquid egg remains. Do not stir constantly. Remove from heat.
- Spray bottom of a (9-inch) pie plate with cooking spray. Place one tortilla on the bottom. Top with half of the scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup cheese and if desired, 1/2 cup ham. Top with another tortilla and repeat layers of eggs, cheese and if desired, ham. Top with remaining tortilla and cheese.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until cheese is melted and the dish is heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro; cut into 4 wedges. Serve with salsa.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 449; Total Fat: 25g; Saturated Fat: 11g; Cholesterol: 318mg; Total Carbs: 34g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 25g; Sodium: 1109mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Egg Board.