Triple Decker Vegetable Omelet
For a special breakfast, turn a simple vegetable omelet into a layered masterpiece. Low-fat cottage cheese and fat-free egg substitute make this meal guilt-free.
2 1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine - divided use
1 cup finely chopped broccoli
1/2 cup diced seeded red bell pepper
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese - divided use
1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 1/2 cups liquid egg substitute (or 6 large eggs) - divided use
1/3 cup chopped tomato
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter in an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, bell pepper, carrot, green onions and garlic and sauté until tender. Remove from skillet; stir in 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Keep warm.
- In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning; set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 teaspoon butter. Pour in 1/2 cup egg substitute and cook, lifting edges to allow uncooked portion to flow underneath. When almost set, slide unfolded omelet onto ovenproof serving platter. Top with half of the vegetable mixture and half of the bread crumb mixture; set aside.
- Prepare 2 more omelets with remaining butter and egg substitute. Place 1 omelet onto serving platter over vegetable and bread crumb mixtures; top with remaining vegetable mixture and bread crumb mixture. Layer with remaining omelet. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cottage cheese and the tomato.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with parsley and cut into wedges to serve.
Makes 4 servings.