Overnight breakfast casseroles are great for waking up to a no-fuss breakfast, giving you more time to enjoy the morning with family and guests.
2 cups seasoned bread croutons
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 (4-ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
1 1/2 pounds bulk country fresh sausage, crumbled
1/2 cup chopped onion
6 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 (10.75-ounce) can of cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup of milk
- Place croutons in greased 13x9x2-inch pan or casserole dish. Top with cheese and mushrooms.
- Brown sausage and onion; drain and spread over cheese.
- Beat eggs with two cups of milk and seasonings; pour over sausage mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (May be frozen at this point.)
- Mix soup with 1/2 cup milk and spread on top of casserole before you bake.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°C) for 60 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe by The Thorpe House of Metamora, Indiana.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Hot Dog And Sausage Council.