Black Forest Cake
Black Forest Cake as it was created to be! A luscious cherry-chocolate cake, originally called Schwarzwälder Kirsch Torte, is a chocolate layer cake made with Kirschwasser (or Kirsch), whipped cream, sour cherries and chocolate curls.
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Schwarzwaelder Kirschwasser (cherry liqueur)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 pinch salt
1 (16-ounce) can unsweetened tart cherries, drained
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon kirschwasser (cherry liqueur)
1 square semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line the bottoms of two 8-inch round pans with parchment paper circles, or grease and flour pans.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, beat until combined. Pour cake batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Cut each layer in half, horizontally, to make 4 layers.
- Sprinkle layers with 1/2 cup Kirschwasser.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon Kirschwasser. Add powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt and beat until desired spreading consistency.
- Spread first layer of cake with 1/3 of the filling. Top with 1/3 of the cherries. Repeat procedure with the remaining layer(s).
- Frost top and sides of cake.
- Using a vegetable peeler, create chocolate curls with the square of semisweet chocolate and sprinkle on top of the cake. Any leftover chocolate crumbs cake be used to sprinkle on the sides of the cake.
Makes 12 servings.