Can’t Be Beet Cake
Here's a way to get the kids to eat their veggies without them having the slightest clue! This is a healthier version of the classic Red Velvet Cake, complete with a luscious cream cheese frosting.
2 (15-ounce) cans beets, diced or shoestring
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups powdered sugar
- For Cake: Drain beets, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Beat eggs on medium speed of electric mixer. Add sugar, oil and vanilla. Beat well.
- Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with beet liquid, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until well-blended. Stir in beets.
- Pour into greased and floured 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely and ice.
- For Icing: Blend cream cheese and butter. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe courtesy of The Canned Vegetable Council.