Pineapple Cream Cake
A two-layer—cheesecake-in-a-cake—pineapple cake with a buttery pineapple icing.
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) can pineapple chunks, crushed
1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 1/4 teaspoons rum flavoring
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to temperature recommended on cake mix box.
- In a small bowl, combine softened cream cheese, sugar, and 2 eggs; beating well. Stir in crushed pineapple chunks (drained, reserving the liquid); set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine yellow cake mix, oil, water, 1 teaspoon rum flavoring, and 3 eggs. Blend on low speed of an electric mixer, then beat for 2 minutes on high speed; stir in flaked coconut. Pour two-thirds of the cake batter into greased and floured tube pan; spoon the cream cheese mixture on top. Carefully add the remaining cake batter.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until the center is set. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
- Meanwhile, combine 4 tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice, 1/4 teaspoon rum flavoring, and 2 tablespoons softened butter in a medium bowl. Slowly beat in powdered sugar; beating until thick enough to spoon over the cake.
Makes 16 servings.