Pineapple Upside Down Wisconsin Gouda Cake
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
1 (8-ounce) can pineapple slices
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin Gouda cheese, finely shredded
Sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line the bottom of a round 8x8x2-inch cake pan with parchment or waxed paper. Set aside.
- Drain the pineapple slices, reserving 1/2 cups juice. (Add water to make 1/2 cups if necessary.)
- Combine melted butter, brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice. Spread mixture in prepared cake pan. Arrange 3 or 4 pineapple slices over mixture. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture and beat on low speed until well combined.
- Stir in remaining pineapple juice and cheese.
- Spread batter over pineapple slices in cake pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and carefully invert onto serving platter. Remove pan and paper. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.