Rich, brown sugar candy squares laced with sweetened flaked coconut.
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Line a 8x8x2-inch baking pan with lightly buttered waxed paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Combine sugars, salt, and milk in large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.
- Continue cooking until a small amount of mixture forms a soft ball in cold water (or to a temperature of 236°F / 110°C), stirring frequently after mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla. Cool until lukewarm (110°F / 45°C) without stirring.
- Add coconut. Then beat with heavy wooden spoon until mixture loses its gloss. Turn out at once into prepared pan. Allow to cool at room temperature. Cut into 1-inch squares.
Makes 64 (1-inch) squares.
Variation: Nut Penuche: Add 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts and omit coconut.