When cooled, these orange and chocolate pralines should be opaque and somewhat chunky and crumbly.
Recipe Ingredients:3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cups pecan pieces
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup chilled semisweet chocolate morsels
- Generously butter a large baking sheet and set aside.
- In skillet, melt butter over high heat, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add sugars and pecans. Cook about 4 1/2 minutes, stirring frequently, until pecans are roasted.
- Stir in cream and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, about 8 minutes, or until small bubbles form around edges of skillet and mixture is dark brown.
- Stir in orange peel and cook, stirring constantly, about 4 more minutes, or until distinct threads form around edges of pan and candy thermometer reads 240°F (115°C).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Immediately, and working quickly, drop a small handful of chocolate morsels onto about a quarter of mixture, stirring quickly and just enough to coat some of chips but not enough to allow chips to melt. Quickly spoon candy onto baking sheet, using second spoon to push candy off other spoon. Repeat until all morsels are used. Let cool.
- Store at room temperature in airtight container or wrapped individually in plastic or foil.
Makes approximately 3 dozen.