Zesty Chicken and Rice
This terrific recipe for Zesty Chicken and Rice was submitted by Marie Gaffney of West Hartford, Connecticut.
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (14.5-ounce) can peeled, diced tomatoes with onion and garlic
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup salsa
1 cup instant brown rice
1 (15-ounce) can red beans, drained
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese - divided use
- In large skillet, place oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, until no longer pink.
- Sprinkle chicken with chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt; stir to coat evenly.
- Drain tomatoes, adding liquid to skillet and reserving tomatoes.
- Add water and salsa and bring mixture to a boil.
- Stir in rice, cover and reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans and tomatoes; cover and simmer 3 minutes more.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese; remove from heat.
- To serve, place in serving dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese and garnish with dollops of sour cream and avocado slices.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.