Frosted Orange Cookies
Zesty whole wheat and sour cream cookies with a simple orange frosting.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
4 tablespoons orange peel, grated - divided use
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound powdered sugar
1/2 cup orange juice - divided use
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon water
- Grease cookie sheets. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, shortening, eggs, and sour cream. Beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in 2 tablespoons grated orange peel and 1/4 cup orange juice; beat well. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl sift together flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; gradually fold into creamed mixture; stir until thoroughly blended.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2-inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until the edges just begin to brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, remaining grated orange peel, 1/4 cup orange juice, vanilla, and water; beat until smooth. Spread frosting on cooled cookies.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.