Julie's Orange Carrot Cookies
Julie's orange-scented carrot cookies are all dressed up in a lovely orange icing—just to please you!
1 cup mashed cooked carrot
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons finely grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon orange extract
- For Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a bowl beat mashed carrots, shortening, and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add eggs. Beat till thoroughly combined.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into creamed mixture. Add grated orange peel and vanilla. Stir in chopped nuts.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2-inches apart onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- For Orange icing: In a bowl combine orange extract with powdered sugar; add milk. Beat till smooth and creamy. Frost warm cookies.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.